Description of the accommodation:
Northern-Hungary, "Palotsland", Karancs-Medves landscape - broad forests, crystal clear air, neverending tranquility.
Our freshly renovated guesthouse called Macskakő (Cobble Stone) takes place here, on this majestic scenery, in one of the calmest streets of the Hungarian-Slovakian border village Somoskőújfalu, just between the two famous border fortresses, the castles of Somoskő and of Salgó. Two separated, nicely furnished modern guest rooms with separated bathrooms are capable to host altogether 6 guests.
Our rural guest house and its services have been evolved in order to provide active pastime to the lovers of nature as well as to those who would only like to spend some tranquile, calm days at our place. The fully equipped kitchen, the private bathrooms, LED TV with 57 channels, quick and free-of-charge wireless interness, 6 brand new mountain bikes, nordic walking poles, sauna with the refreshing shower, garden grill, private parking - mentioning only the most important features - are all for the convenience of our future guests.
From the top of the huge garden an unforgettable panorama of the Sátoros hill unfolds before our eyes, also the castle of Salgó can be seen in winter time. Besides the natural attractions the extremely pure mountain air, the neverending tranquillity and silence, and the supremely clear sky full of shining bright stars makes this land a very famous destination amongst visitors from all over Hungary and also from abroad.
Sights to visit by foot or by bike:
- Somoskőújfalu: 100-year-old weeping willow tree, Memorial Garden of Coming Home (memory of the border revision after the peace treaty of Trianon), and the village days organized every spring
- Karancs-mountain („Palots Olympos”): St. Margaret chapel, hermit's cave, lookout tower (729m)
- Somoskő: castle, "stony-waterfall (basalt fall), Petőfi memory hut, wildlife park, Bazalt pansion (jumping athletic shoe museum), Stone park, onetime openair stonemines
- Salgóbánya: Salgó castle (625m), "Witches' stone (Little-Salgó, geological trail), House of Geological Wonders (Geocsodák háza), Medves-plateau (Europe's biggest basalt plateau), Mine lake, Novohrad-Nógrád Geopark Center
Sights to visit by car:
- Salgótarján: Mine Museum, Nógrád Historical Museum, Urania Observatory, 700-year-old Baglyaskő Castle and Geopark
- Szentkút: Catholic Pilgrimage shrine, St. II. John Paul Pope relic, Mátraverebélyi middle age church (sepulcher of Earl Almásy - the main character of the movie The English Patient)
- Tar: Buddhistic stupa and Kőrösi Csoma Sándor Memorial Park
- Hollókő: Old Village (UNESCO world heritage), castle, village- and post museum
- Ipolytarnóc: fossils
- Kazár: badland, tájházak, múzeumok, bringó hintózás
- Szécsény: Forgách-mansion, renovated downtown
- Szirák: mansion
- Fülek / Fil'akovo (Slovakia): castle and museum
- Ajnácskő / Hajnacka (Slovakia): castle of Ajnácskő, Ragács, ruins of the so-called Heathen castle
- Alsósztregova / Dolná Strehová (Slovakia): Madách-mansion and sepulcher
Macskakő Vendégház Somoskőújfalu rooms Rooms
- No meal
Free private parking (2 private)
Free WiFi in shared places
Bike rental (1 500 Ft (~ 4.22 €)/day), Hiking opportunities (100 m away)
- Finnish sauna (2 000 Ft (~ 5.63 €)/occasion)
Garden, Private bike storage, Ironing available
Outdoor cooking options: Barbecue, Cooking in cauldron (firewood - free), Open fireplace available (firewood - free)
Dining options: Nearest restaurant (700 m away), Closest grocery store (700 m away)
High chair, Children's bike rental (1 500 Ft (~ 4.22 €)/occasion)
Free of charge until the age of 3!
- 700 m Local bus station
- 700 m City center
- 700 m Nearest restaurant
- 1.5 km Train station
In case you can only arrive later than the general check-in time, please inform the accommodation!